St. John's Adoration Chapel

St. John's Adoration Chapel
"Do Not Fear: I am with you. From here I will cast light Be sorry for sin."

Thursday, March 5, 2020

Seek, Ask, Knock...



“Lord, please give me exactly what I need today. All of that and nothing else.”

~Karen Schultz (Blessed is She)

The focus of today’s Gospel (Matthew 7: 7-12) is on seeking, asking and knocking. Our Lord tells us that if we seek we will find. If we knock, it will be opened to us, and if we ask, we will receive.  So why does it often seem like that is not the case? I seek and I don’t find, I ask and I don’t receive, I knock but it is not opened to me?  Maybe it’s because I don’t ask properly, or I ask for the wrong things.  Maybe I don’t even know what I should be looking or asking for?  I’m sure that many times it’s because I want God to give me whatever I want the way I want it, when I want it, but He, He has other plans for me, and they are a thousand times better than any plans I might have for myself.  I know this. He has said as much.  So why is it so hard for me to remember? What am I afraid of?  Why is it so hard to trust?

I think it’s because I’m afraid of what I might have to give up.  I want what I want and cling to a lesser good and passing satisfaction, rather than allow Him to give me what my heart truly desires.  All this dawned on me during my daily meditation and the reflection I received from Blessed is She writer Karen Schultz.  I’ve made her final quote my thought to carry with me throughout today and all of Lent (and beyond).  I’m quite certain I will forget and try to hold on to my will, but it is my intention to return to it always.  I may not truly know what I want or need, but God does. I will do my best to trust in Him.


“Lord, please give me exactly what I need today. All of that and nothing else.”

No comments: