St. John's Adoration Chapel

St. John's Adoration Chapel
"Do Not Fear: I am with you. From here I will cast light Be sorry for sin."

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Blessed Timothy Giaccardo

A great and inspiring life
Blessed Timothy

We begin now a series of extracts from the "Diary" of Blessed Giaccardo, not certainly all of it (he left behind him 80 school-type copybooks plus a legion of notes written on the first bit of paper he could find!) but that part that has been edited by the Center of Spirituality. As the Diary begins he is still a Seminarist in the Alba Seminary and the young priest, Fr. Alberione, is Seminary Spiritual Director. From his notes it appears that he was given several important appointments and he is constantly reflecting on his spiritual life in general and on his various duties, revealing from the beginning those qualities which would lead him eventually to Sainthood. We, of course, are not seminarians nor Religious and should always work for holiness especially in and throush the stress and strain of everyday family life. Having said that, however, we must also recognize that there are basic spiritual rules applying to every lifestyle and in the Diary of Blessed Timothy we find these rules exemplified and lived.

1913-1914
RESOLUTIONS

With the help of the Saints and Angels, my guardians, I place in the hands of Mary and, through her in the hands of Jesus, this firm resolution. My particular goal will be "humility towards God, based on my conviction that I am nothing and can do nothing and that I must give to Him everything I do and receive; however, with the help of God I can do great things and carry out perfectly my duties as Prefect and clerical student. And so I will have the maximum trust in Him alone. I who am nothing must obey God Who desires that I should make my own contribution to the duties given me and so, going back to my first point, that I should be gentle but also firm with my young people.

These resolutions, and especially the first one, I resolve to keep not just for a short time but for a long one and perhaps even for a whole lifetime, because I am convinced that they are essential if my priesthood is to be successful and also because the two other points - - humility toward people and toward myself - are linked to these. I will continue this with all my being and never fall back. I will choose the motives and the means which will be most helpful in my self-conquest.


Because of my basically defective human nature, past experience leads me to foresee many falls but, no matter how many they are, I will put my sorrow for them in the hands of Mary, I will fight against them and will ask again this dear and loving Mother for help. Strengthened by her blessing, I will begin to fight again. I am also convinced of my utter Inability to conquer even one proud thought, even one opportunity to practice gentleness and firmness and so I will place myself totally into the hands of the Immaculate Virgin, consecrating to her my body and soul and especially my goodwill. This Lady, who never lets herself be beaten in generosity, will give herself entirely to me.

And I want really to put my resolutions into practice, I want it whatever the cost and in the first place and everywhere the first one. May the Lord give me his graces in abundance. I will renew these resolutions in Confession.


I approve and bless these resolutions with both hands in the certainty that following humility you will give the greatest pleasure to God. (Note by his Spiritual Director — Fr. Alberione)


MY PROGRAM

Maximum distrust of myself and complete confidence in God, attributing to Him whatever succeeds.


Universal obedience to Superiors and total submission to the Head Prefect.

Good relations with the other Prefects and readiness to ask their advice.

Being a mother rather than a father to my young charges, a mother in speaking gently to them and in doing for them what a mother might do.

Gentleness generally but with certain boys also more seriousness. Gentleness, but also firmness. Try to get them to do things because they want to do them and not because they are afraid of the consequences of disobedience.

Study the character of each boy and use this information in educating them. Let them be the object of my thoughts and words and always of my prayers.

Experience shows me how difficult it is to conquer oneself and correct certain habits and so I will sympathize with my boys when they do wrong and I will not fail to correct them.

Have no preferences towards one or the other and watch that I do not develop a special affection toward any of them.

PRAYER OF OFFERING


My most sweet Jesus, because you have chosen me today to be your victim for them, I offer myself as a victim even now through the hands of Mary Immaculate. And because the nature of a Victim requires total self-renunciation, I too with your help intend to renounce my own will totally and, so as to be a pleasing victim, to give a very special attention to even the smallest aspect of the rule.

Jesus, from this moment I offer to you through the hands of Mary Immaculate and in union with her prayers and her merits, all my actions and sufferings of this day on behalf of my classmates and in particular on behalf of N.N. . . And you, O Blessed Jesus, accept all this and offer it to your Eternal Father, in union with your infinite merits, asking Him to pour out on me and on my classmates and on the whole Seminary the abundance of his graces and mercy, so that we my be fervent and holy seminarists and one day be zealous Priests, your true imitators.

Mary Immaculate most holy, obtain for us the grace of perseverance all through this day.

(continued)


~ March 2011 Concord Ch. 4

No comments: