St. John's Adoration Chapel

St. John's Adoration Chapel
"Do Not Fear: I am with you. From here I will cast light Be sorry for sin."

Friday, March 18, 2011

Lenten Prayers

These prayers aren't only for Lent, of course, but they are most appropriate during our journey with Jesus on the road to Calvary and then Easter.



PRAYER BEFORE A CRUCIFIX

Look down upon me, good and gentle Jesus, while before They face I humbly kneel and with burning soul pray and beseech Thee to fix deep in my heart lively sentiments of faith, hope and charity, true contrition for my sins and a firm purpose of amendment, while I contemplate with great love and tender pity Thy Five Wounds, pondering over them within me and calling to mind the words with David, Thy prophet said of Thee my Jesus, "They have pierced My Hands and My Feet, they have numbered all My Bones." (Ps 21: 17-18)

Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be, for Holy Father's intentions:
Plenary indulgence when said after Communion; (S. Paen. Ap. 2 Feb. 1934)


PRAYER TO THE SHOULDER WOUND OF CHRIST

O loving Jesus, meek Lamb of God, I miserable sinner, salute and worship the most Sacred Wound of Thy Shoulder on which Thou didn't bear Thy heavy Cross, which so tore The flesh and laid bare Thy Bones as to inflict on Thee an anguish greater than any other wound of thy Most Blessed Body. I adore Thee, O Jesus most sorrowful; I praise and glorify Thee, and give Thee thanks for this most sacred and painful Wound, beseeching Thee by that exceeding pain, and by the crushing burden of Thy heavy Cross, to be merciful to me, a sinner, to forgive me all my mortal and venial sins, and to lead me towards Heaven along the Way of Thy Cross. Amen

Imprimatur: Thomas D. Beven Bishop of Springfield

To learn more about the shoulder wound of our Lord and Savior, see p.45 of the Pieta prayerbook (from which these two prayers are taken) for a brief account of what Jesus told St. Bernard of Clairvaux regarding it.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Thank you for the reminder of these two beautiful prayers.

shadowlight said...

You're very welcome. I hope you have a wonderful, prayerful Lent.